Best Field Hockey Mouth Guards – 2019’s Top 4 Models Tested and Reviewed
If you are a player in a sports such as hockey, then you should know that protection is a factor that should never be joked with. The hockey game requires all your energy, and the sticks used in the game can cause severe pain as well as other detrimental issues peradventure your mouth gets hit.
No player wants to lose their beautiful smile just to score in a hockey playground. Hence, if you must play hockey, then mouth protection is an absolute must. It is important that you get your hands on the best field hockey mouthguard (mouthpiece or gum shield) with the perfect fit to fully secure your teeth, mouth and beautiful smile.
In times past, mouthguards were uncomfortable, bulky, and there was no way you could speak with one in your mouth. But, technology happened and kept on happening. Now, mouthguards are comfortable and safer. You do not have to suffer through the bad taste of an athletic mouthguard anymore as, in addition to being lighter, today’s market offers topnotch hockey mouthguards that actually taste great.
However, amid so many mouthguards, choosing the best can be a difficult task, hence I have gone through several mouthguards on the market to come up with this review on the top best hockey mouthguards.
What to consider when choosing the best field hockey mouthguards
If you are on the hunt for the best field hockey mouthguard, then there are definitely some factors that you have to consider. For instance, I noticed that the best field hockey mouthguards are thick in such a way that they keep your top, and bottom teeth separated as you bite down. Also, the thicker material will provide extra shock absorption, which serves as great protection for your teeth and jaw.
However, while reviewing most of the regular hockey mouthguards on the market, I observed that they are quite thin, made with cheap materials, and cannot protect your mouth and teeth adequately. This is why you need to seriously research and read reviews such to know the best hockey mouthguards which are made with top-grade materials that can offer maximum protection.
Here are some of the other factors to consider before purchasing a field hockey equipment.
While protection is a key factor of a mouthguard, you should know that the best do not neglect comfort for protection, instead, they offer the best of both. The variation level differs. Some players prefer protection over comfort and vice versa. When purchasing a mouthguard, you have to consider this factor in your personal preference.
From my research, I know that there are three different main styles of mouthguards. The first is the ready-made mouthguards which are ready to be applied straight from the box, and no alteration is needed to fit them. These are easy to put on and take off, but they are also less secure and bulkier.
The next type is the more popular mouth-adapted mouthguards which are designed to be adapted to fit by the users. This type is preferred by both amateurs and professionals as it is easily accessible, affordable, and provides a better fit. On the other hand, the custom-fit mouthguards are more expensive as they need to be mouth-molded by a dentist.
You might decide to purchase a strapped mouthguard or a strapless mouthguard, it all depends on your personal preference. If you misplace your equipment frequently, then a strapped mouthguard might be the best choice. I noticed that on teams where it is allowed, players who dislike to opt for one of the strapless mouthguards.
Top 4 Field Hockey Mouthguards
Below I have reviewed some of the best field hockey mouth guards that are absolutely worth every penny you spend on them.
SISU Mouth Guards Aero Custom Fit Sports Mouthguard
I love the SISU Aero mouthpiece, and apparently I am not its only fan, as it is one of the best and most popular sports mouthguards on the market today.
You might ask, Why? Well, one of the many reasons for this is its ultra-light, super-slim design. Measured at a 1.6 mm width, this Aero is thinner than the regular mouthguard by 50%. I can boldly say that communicating and breathing are very easy in this mouthguard, and you can even drink water while on it.
Despite its thin width, it features a material that is highly absorbent as well as a Diffusix Technology which join forces to distribute the force of impact throughout the guard, thoroughly reducing injuries. If you are on braces, you can conveniently wear this mouthpiece though, it has to be molded properly by your orthodontist.
This Aero design is convenient as it is made of a quick, removable and custom fit that makes it easy to forget that there is plastic within the market. It is ideal for players above the ages of 11.
- The Diffusix Technology maximizes protection by distributing the force of impact across a larger area and reducing dental injury risks
- It is ultra-thin
- Breathing, communicating and hydrating is made easy by the extra thin material
- Its rounded edges and wide bite pads provide more comfort
- It is not an ideal fit for persons less than 11 years of age
- It is expensive
- Some hockey players prefer the thicker models
Sparkling White Smiles Professional Sport Mouth Guards
- Custom Fit To Any Mouth Size: Teeth Mouth Guard easily molds to fit any tooth shape and mouth size
- Precision Fitting Material: Provides optimal retention and Comfort
- Maximum Teeth Protection: Thick Cushioning base to absorb shock
- Safety Grade: BPA and Latex free highest quality material. NO COLOR additives used. This is a Clear Sport Mouth Guard
- 2 PACK: Includes 2 Sport Mouth Guards. Also includes a FREE vented carrying case. Designed for all sports and athletes. Great for all sports including; Football, Soccer, Boxing, MMA, Basketball, Lacrosse, Muay Thai, Hockey, Weight Lifting, Wrestling, Jitsu, and Jiu Jitsu
If you are after a budget-friendly option to protect your teeth that still offers great value, then I assure you that the Sparkling White Smiles professional mouthguard is definitely a noteworthy option. It belongs to the mouth-adapted style category, also known as boil and bite which I mentioned above. You can modify the fit to best suit you, and it also offers chew resistance.
When you consider the price of this product, it is surprising that it features top quality materials that make breathing and talking possible, further improving the performance of the athlete. It utilizes material that is free of Latex, BPA and color additives.
- Its thick base of cushioning enhances shock absorption
- Sold with a carrying case (free)
- High-quality material that is free of Latex, color additives and BPA
- It offers great value even at a very affordable price
- Allows breathing and talking
- Can be worn with braces
- It is only suitable for adults
Shock Doctor Mouthguard: #1 Sport Mouth Guard – Gel Max Mouthguard
- CUSTOM COMFORT & FIT - Gel-fit Liner Technology is easy to fit, silicone mold forms specifically to your teeth and gums, providing a comfortable fit for extended use, available in a variety of customized colors
- BREATHABLE - Integrated breathing channels make it easy to breathe while wearing the guard and maximize your performance
- PROFESSIONAL DENTAL PROTECTION - Heavy duty Exoskeletal Shock Frame provides full mouth protection during the hardest impacts, protects cheek and tongue, teeth grinding, and secures teeth in place
- DURABLE - Crafted using heavy duty silicone, combined in our Triple Layer Design for added protection and durability
- RECOMMENDED SPORTS - Suitable for all contact sports where a mouth guard is required or recommended including football, wrestling, boxing, and more! Includes a detachable helmet strap for football
This is definitely one of the top three most popular sports mouthguards in reviews. To start with, the Shock Doctor brand has been at the top of advancement and technology as pertains mouth protection, offering the best standards to meet the needs of athletes. From my research and testing, I can say that this Gel Max mouthguard is an ideal example of the quality the brand has to offer. It offers maximum protection and comfort which speak volumes of its top quality.
First, it is designed with an Exoskeletal-kind of shock frame, which offers excellent durability and protection. While you’re on the field, you can breathe easily as it has a triple-layered construction with a Gel-fit liner and breathing channels.
The Gel-fit liner makes it a custom fit and more comfortable. More interesting, this product comes with a tether, so you can either decide to use it strapless or attach it to your facemask. It comes in adult and youth sizes, ten different colors, and in flavored options.
- It does not require boiling
- It is sold with a $10, 000 dental warranty which is a testament to its quality and durability
- Provides good breathing room
- It can be used strapless or strapped as a tether is included
- Comes in various colors, so you can choose one that matches your hockey wear
- Its flavored options eliminate the problem of bad taste
- It is costly
- It doesn’t work with braces
- Some users also complained that they had troubles talking while on it
SISU Mouth Guards Junior 1.6 mm Custom Fit Sports Mouthguard for Kids
- SISU Junior NextGen mouth guards offer premium, warrantied dental protection for younger players ages 7-10
- Only 1.6mm thick, the ultralight design of the Junior is 50% thinner than conventional sports mouth guards, providing maximum comfort and convenience
- The slim, custom fit makes it easy to talk, breath and drink without removing the guard, which contributes to better hygiene
- Diffusix technology scientifically distributes impact forces from soccer, football, hockey, lacrosse, basketball and other contact games
- Junior NextGen SISU guards feature a wider bite pad, rounded edges for comfort and improved mold-ability to ensure a perfect fit; not compatible with braces
Is your kid into playing hockey sports? Then, you know that you have to prevent against serious mouth injury and maintain the precious smile of your kid by using the best mouth guard protection. I know a child player who wears a hockey mouthpiece and, is fond of removing it, rubbing his small hands filled with layers of mud and sweat through it, and then re-inserting it. Yuck! I bet this was your first reaction. You can only imagine the number of germs that’ll go into his system this way.
Amazingly, you can prevent your child from doing this with the SISU Junior Custom Fit mouthpiece for kids. As it is extremely thin at 1.6 mm, children feel so comfortable in it that they don’t feel that pressing need to always take it out. This makes it a cleaner mouthguard for a healthier and better performing kid.
- It is perfect fit for child players between the ages of 7 and 10
- It is backed by a one-year limited dental warranty
- Free of latex, BPA, phthalates and PVC
- It is on the pricier side
The hockey mouthguards mentioned above are some of the top best picks on the market. When purchasing a mouthguard, ensure that you never compromise on the quality of materials as this guarantees that you have a safe hockey game.
You just cannot risk disabusing yourself of your beautiful teeth and risking serious injury by going for the cheap low-quality mouthguards on the market. Consider all the factors mentioned above as well as the brand image, material’s impact absorption and brace-friendliness (if you use braces) before making any decision.